Applying for a residence permit

Updated on December 10, 2013

How to obtain a residence permit:

Only the Consulate or the Préfecture (and in no way the University) can provide you with the required information.

For a three-month to one-year stay and after receiving the university certificate of pre-enrollment, the French consulate of your country of residence will grant you a « Student Long Stay Visa- Residence Permit » (VLS-TS).


This « student » visa is an authorization to enter the French territory. Nationals of the European Community Member States, of the European Economic Area do not require a visa.


The visa must be validated within 3 months after arrival at the French Office for Immigration and Integration (OFII). Validation is granted on compliance with the three following requirements:

  • Returning the OFII form upon arrival in France,
  • Checking with a GP
  • Paying a fee

To get further information, go to the OFII website and contact the French consulate of your country of residence

For short stay 3-month visas or for renewals:

How to Proceed?

  1. With your 2013-2014 student card, log in the website of the Préfecture de la Haute-Garonne:, go to section : "Toutes vos démarches", then under " Séjour des étrangers".
  2. Download and print the document (1st application or renewal).
  3. Next, make YOUR OWN APPOINTMENT ON THE INTERNET to go and submit your application.  
  • If your application file is COMPLETE: you will be issued a 3- month temporary registration notice (the time it takes the only French centre in charge to prepare and edit the permanent residence permit).
  • If your application file is NOT COMPLETE:  YOU WILL NOT BE ISSUED ANY TEMPORARY NOTICE, and another appointment will be made by the Préfecture.