You are here : Home > Incoming Students

Applying for a residence permit

Only the Consulate or the Préfecture (and in no way the University) can provide you with the required information.

For a three-month to one-year stay

After receiving the university certificate of pre-enrollment, the French consulate of your country of residence will grant you a « Student Long Stay Visa - Residence Permit » (VLS-TS).

This « student » visa is an authorization to enter the French territory. Nationals of the European Community Member States, of the European Economic Area do not require a visa.

The visa must be validated within 3 months after arrival at the French Office for Immigration and Integration (OFII). Validation is granted on compliance with the following requirements:

  • Presenting yourself at the welcome desk of the Federal University (Toul'Box) or at the International Office of Toulouse Capitole University ;
  • Sending directly the form to the OFII.

To get further information, go to the OFII website and contact the French consulate of your country of residence.

For short stay three months visas or for renewals

Residence permit renewal must be required 2 months before termination, at the Prefecture of the place of residence.

In Haute-Garonne :
- From september to february : make appointment on the website of the préfecture de la Haute-Garonne ;
- The other months in the year, appointment to be made at the préfecture.

If your application file is COMPLETE: you will be issued a 3 months temporary registration notice (the time it takes for the only French centre in charge to prepare and edit the permanent residence permit).
If your application file is NOT COMPLETE:  YOU WILL NOT BE ISSUED ANY TEMPORARY NOTICE, and another appointment will be made by the Préfecture.

Online appointment are distributed following the principle first arrived first served.
The one-year residence permit will be given only at the Prefecture, upon notice and hand-delivered (no possible exemption).