FAQ Students

In order to answer the questions that each student may have, the university has set up this Frequently Asked Questions. Most of the generic answers can be found there, but you should regularly read the updated information on the site and the social networks.

All the information concerning the evolution of the health safety instructions on campus can be consulted at this direct web address: www.ut-capitole.fr/coronavirus.

You are newly registered at UT Capitole ! A welcome site is dedicated to you : bienvenue.ut-capitole.fr. Please note : this specific site is in French only.

In case of suspicion of contamination or in case of proven COVID-19, refer to the instructions to be followed.

If you test positive, complete the online reporting form. The information collected is intended for the university's COVID Referent who will forward it to the Regional Health Agency (ARS) in order to initiate the inventory of possible contact cases.

All student aid is presented in the "Student Aid" portal (in french).


Schooling and exams

Health & Sanitary Measures

Outgoing exchange students in 2020 2021



Foreign exchange students in Toulouse


Social action & Medical-psychosocial emergencies

Life on campus : practical information

All the questions asked by students on social networks are recorded and reported to the management of the institution.

Once the answers are available, they are posted in this FAQ.

Schooling and exams

Will my classes and exams continue during the lockdown period from April 3 to May 2?

Following the announcements of the President of the Republic and the Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation, the modalities of distance learning and exams at Toulouse Capitole University remain unchanged during the period of application of the new anti-Covid-19 restrictions, from April 3, 2021 to May 2, 2021.

The components will communicate any possible adjustments, notably for students whose exams were scheduled in person, since on-site exams are forbidden during this period.

Is travel between my home and the university allowed? What credentials do I need during the lockdown period?

Travel between the place of residence and the University, for the period of April 3 to May 2 and in particular for the return of the Easter weekend, will be authorized, including in inter-regional, subject to :

- filling out and signing this authorization for each trip, making sure to check off exemption #1. An electronic version for smartphone is available here.
- be able to prove that you are going to classes/exams in the next few hours or that you are coming back from classes by justifying it with your online class schedule and your student card (or email of invitation to an exam);
- bring a proof of residence with your name and surname (identity card with your home address, insurance certificate, cell phone bill...).

Outgoing exchange students in 2020-21

Financial aid: my mobility was cancelled/ interrupted, I had incurred costs, how can I get compensation?

Capitol University has set up a compensation fund that allows students who had to cancel or shorten a mobility abroad (studies or internships during the 1st semester of 2020-2021) due to the health crisis linked to Covid19, to get a compensation for a part of the additional costs incurred (subject to available funds).

More information & application form (in french).

I am now on a mobility exchange abroad: the university is closed, can I reach my contacts at the UT1 International Office?

The university is closed to the public.
There are several ways to reach the SCREI team: by e-mail and telephone or by face-to-face appointment for advice or information.
Please get in touch with your contact by email to make a face-to-face appointment and bring the email with you when you come to the University.

Your contacts (in french)

I am now on a mobility exchange abroad: will I continue to receive my mobility scholarships?

Scholarship payments will be further ensured for students residing in the host country. In addition, “certificates of arrival” and “end of stay certificates” must be provided to the international office, whether the courses are given remotely or physically.



Are the libraries open ?

The libraries are open !

Arsenal : Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 pm
Manufacture des Tabacs : Monday to Friday, from 9 am to 6 pm.
Garrigou and Boutaric : Closed.

Do not hesitate to contact us.

Can I sit in the library to take my oral exams online?

Starting April 6, and following the example of what UT Capitole proposed in December, the BU de l'Arsenal will make four of its group work rooms (3rd floor) available to students experiencing difficulties in taking their online exams (poor connection, unsatisfactory equipment, uncomfortable environment, etc).

The students concerned are invited to consult the details of the scheme and the application procedures on their intranet space.

Can I view full-text online documentation?

Yes, you can find all the documents you need for your studies on our documentation portal.
The university libraries have more than 300 000 e-books. They subscribe to more than 50 000 online journals and databases..

How can I get help with my documentary research?

Librarians are online !
For a simple question, please contact the "A question ?" service.

For a more specific question, you can make an appointment using this form.

How do I get a document that the library doesn't have that I need?

Please, contact the Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service: eb@ut-capitole.fr

Can I consult exam topics from previous years for practice?

The university's exam topics are digitized and put online on the web pages of the university libraries. Visit

I have to write my master's thesis: how do I find out about presentation standards?

Go to our advice sections to write your thesis with a style sheet, organise your bibliography and cite your sources.
You can get help from librarians by making a documentary appointment.

I'm working on the formatting of my thesis: how can I get help?

Go to advice sections to write your thesis: use of a style sheet, organization of the bibliography, citation of sources, use of the Zotero software...
Get help from librarians by making a library appointment.

How to download data from the Thomson Reuters Eikon database (Datastream)?

The Eikon station of the BU Arsenal is accessible by reservation (after identification) for autonomous use.
For training courses or requests for assistance, please contact Philippe Soleri.

Who do I talk to if I'm having office application problems?

Contact the " A question? "service » and give details of your problem (response within 24 hours).

How do I log in to view online resources?

If you are a student :
Authenticate yourself using your login and password.
Login => user: last 8 digits of the student number
Password: usual password.

If you are a staff member of the university :
Login => user: usually the initial of your first name followed by the letters of your last name.
Usual password to connect to your mailbox for example.

Forgot your password? Consult these recommendations..

I don't have my student card and I don't know my username and password: what can I do?

The university's IT department can help you if you are registered at Toulouse Capitole University. Contact them

How do I view my player account?

Connect to Archipel, the catalogue of the libraries of the Toulouse university network.
Using your identifiers, a login and a password, authenticate yourself to access your personal space.


I have a disability, do I need to request an extension of my exam accommodations?

I have a temporary or permanent disability and I would like to benefit from accommodations/extend my accommodations:
I must report myself to the disability unit: handicap@ut-capitole.fr and make an appointment with the SIMPPS doctor : contact-simpps@univ-toulouse.fr"

Life on campus : practical information

What are the opening hours of the university's premises and parking lot during curfew periods?

Following the on-site takeover of the L1 tutorials, the opening hours of the premises and the parking lot will be extended from 25 January: from Monday to Friday, the premises will be open from 7am to 8pm; on Saturdays they will close at 5.30pm.

I would like to eat on campus. Which eating place is open?

The Cafet'Arsenal is open on weekdays from 8 am to 5:45 pm and on weekends from 11:30 am to 5:45 pm.

For more information on the restoration of the Crous to take away, please visit: www.crous-toulouse.fr/actualite/vae/.

Health & Sanitary Measures

I'm concerned about my health security, how can I find out about the terms and conditions of the protections that have been put in place?

Wearing a mask is mandatory on the premises under all circumstances. The respect of barrier gestures, regular hand washing, the wearing of masks, the respect of social distancing and traffic flow remain the best weapons against the disease.

In addition, from March 1 to May 7, 2021, the university is setting up a system for Covid-19 screening among the student population, with the creation of a "drive" on its Toulouse campus. Tests by saliva sampling are done upon presentation of the student card.

An information page updated in real time is at your disposal to know all the measures implemented. Only one address : www.ut-capitole.fr/coronavirus

I would like advice and information on how to comply with health regulations at the University, who can I contact?

Health mediators will be on campus as of January 25th to answer all your questions. The mission of these students is to enforce health regulations within the university, such as the wearing of masks, hand washing and traffic rules. They will also be able to report any malfunctions.

I wish to carry out a screening test with Covid-19: can I do it at Toulouse Capitole University?

Yes, from March 1 to May 7, 2021, the university is implementing a student screening campaign, including the creation of a "drive" on its Toulouse campus. Tests by salivary sampling are made on simple presentation of the student card.

Covid saliva tests are rolled out under the supervision of Professor Soulat in charge of preventive medicine at UT1 Capitole University. A member of the Toulouse Teaching Hospital (CHU) or of the SIMPPS and two students-ambassadors are available from 8 am to 1 from Mondays to Fridays. They attend to the students and the university administrative staff members who want to be tested.

The test samples are sent to Purpan Teaching Hospital (CHU) by the Purpan staff at UT1 Capitole. Their sequencing and analysis help to check for the new SARS-CoV-2 variants (UK variant, etc..) among the students population.

The students of the IUT of Rodez who wish to be tested can go to one of the LXBIO laboratories, present in all the department of Aveyron. The IUT has established a partnership with this laboratory to privilege the screening of students from the Rodez campus.

I present symptoms of Covid-19 or I had a contact of more than 15 minutes without mask or distance with a contaminated person: what should I do?

All students who find themselves in this situation are encouraged to read the document entitled "Instructions for Students in case of Suspected or Confirmed Covid-19 Contamination".

At the same time :

  • I inform my school. I can send a medical certificate to justify my absence if the doctor has issued one. The contact information for each school is indicated on the university's website, page "Manage your schooling" (in french);

  • I inform the Covid referent of the University by filling in the online form;

  • I perform a screening test. To do so, from March 1 to May 7, I can go to the "Valade amphitheatre", located on the "Arsenal" site, where a staff member of the CHU (or of the SIMPPS) and two student mediators will be mobilised, from Monday to Friday from 8 am to 1 pm. The students of the IUT of Rodez can go to one of the LXBIO laboratories, present in all the department of Aveyron. The IUT has established a partnership with this laboratory to privilege the screening of students from the Rodez campus.

I am positive for the Covid-19 test: how do I inform the university?

If the result of your screening test is positive, I inform the Covid Referrer at the university by filling out the form provided. Your declaration will remain confidential, but the information will be transmitted to the ARS (Regional Health Agency).

If I have not already done so, I will send the medical certificate to my school. I stay at home to protect my relatives and other students.

Can I get a medical appointment with SIMPPS?

The Simpps Arsenal is open again since the beginning of the academic year.

You can call 05 61 63 37 25 for any health, social or psychological questions, Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 5pm, for advice, guidance or an appointment depending on your situation.

The SIMPPS health relay students (ERS) in Toulouse are also available to inform, guide and direct students to the various services and associations they may need. To get in touch with them, visit their Facebook page.
More information on this page (restricted access).


As a result of the health crisis, my internship was cancelled or interrupted during the academic year 2020-2021. Can I benefit from financial aid? How do I apply?

  • A compensation fund for cancelled or interrupted internships has been set up by the University. It concerns compulsory internships of more than two months in the year 2020-2021 that have been the subject of an internship agreement validated by the University.
  • If my internship has been postponed or replaced in its entirety and/or if I continue to receive a bonus, I am not eligible for this assistance.
  • If eligible, I must complete an online form (In french) between January 4, 2021 and March 26, 2021. To do so, I must provide proof of the cancellation or interruption of my internship. This document must specify the number of months of internship "lost".

My internship agreement has been validated by the university. The host structure will only maintain my internship if I can work from home. Can I do this internship?

Yes, in order to respect the containment measures, the university validates this internship modality.

My internship must take place abroad. The health context does not allow me to move, the host structure offers me an internship at a distance. Can I set up this option for an internship initially planned abroad?

Yes the distance learning course can be set up from your place of residence in France or from your place of residence abroad.

In this case, your internship agreement will have to be amended. You will indicate the "remote" mode by specifying the address from which you will work (home, third place...).

What are the administrative procedures to which I must submit if I do my internship at a distance?

The hosting structure sends me in writing the tele-work mode to which I must give my consent. If my internship was initially to take place face-to-face, it will be necessary to make an amendment to the internship agreement and to specify the address of the place where I telework.

We also draw your attention to the fact that working at a distance implies that you must remain at the disposal of the structure and comply with the provisions of the initial internship agreement. You must remain available for your host structure and respect the schedules defined by it.

I just found an internship, can I get a validation from the university to start it?

Your agreement can be validated as long as the reception structure offers you an arrangement that respects the instructions of social distancing or an assignment in telework.
  • The Ministry of Higher Education reminds companies of their responsibility to rethink their organisations in order to :
  • Limit meetings to what is strictly necessary,
  • Limit employee groupings in small spaces,
  • Cancel or postpone unnecessary trips,
  • Adapt work organization, particularly through team rotation.

During the internship, if these conditions are not met, if you feel insecure, you can exercise your right to withdraw.

Regarding the creation of your internship agreement, you must follow the usual procedure.

TSE and TSM students follow the procedure indicated by their attachment component.

Your agreement will be returned to you signed by the university in return.

Can I physically go to the internship office?

The physical reception of students is by appointment only.
All your requests can be treated by email or by phone:

05 61 63 37 35
Monday : 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm
Tuesday to Thursday : 9h -12h and 13h30 -16h30

All information on internships (in french)

What is the procedure to follow if my internship is postponed or cancelled/interrupted due to the health crisis?

  • If my internship is simply postponed, I must contact the internship office to make an amendment to my internship agreement specifying the new dates.

  • If my internship is cancelled or interrupted and it is for an internship longer than two months, I must also make a rider specifying the effective date.

  • If my internship is cancelled and it is less than two months, I must contact the internship office to cancel my internship agreement.

I would like to do an internship abroad, can I leave despite the health situation?

Following the latest announcements of the Prime Minister and the measures taken by the institution, applications for compulsory internships outside the EU (including the United Kingdom) are now subject to a request to be sent to the internship office you depend on.

Internship applications for a country classified in red zone (see orange) must also be applied for even if you currently reside in the country in question.

Internships in overseas departments and regions and overseas collectivities are allowed. On the other hand, the health context being unstable, it is recommended to monitor the situation on site by consulting the following link: https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/conseils-aux-voyageurs/

The elective internships outside the EU are not considered a compelling reason and are currently not eligible for an internship agreement.

In order to best prepare your departure we strongly recommend you to check the following points :
  • Arrangement proposed by the reception structure that respects the instructions of social distancing.
  • Opening of the borders between the countries concerned and organization of your quarantine upon arrival
  • Return flight confirmed with refundable and modifiable tickets. Health coverage adapted to the host country
  • Health coverage adapted to the host country
  • Complementary insurance adapted to the country (civil liability, repatriation including pandemic risk...)
  • The reception structure must provide you with social protection if your bonus is more than 15% of the social security ceiling.
  • Declaration of your departure on the Ariane website.
Reference Reference sites :
  1. Country fact sheets http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/conseils-aux-voyageurs/conseils-par-pays/
  2. Travel Report Cards http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/conseils-aux-voyageurs
  3. Base Ariane https://pastel.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fildariane/dyn/public/login.html.
  4. Caisse des Français de l'Etranger for complementary insurance: http://www.cfe.fr/
  5. Websites of French embassies and consulates listed in the Country Fact Sheet http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/conseils-aux-voyageurs/conseils-par-pays/ International Social Protection http://www.cleiss.fr/

Foreign exchange students in Toulouse

What is the health situation in France for foreign students?

Check the website below :
Campus France : arrival on French territory

I am studying at UT1: the university is closed, can I contact the team of the international office?

The university is closed to the public.
There are several ways to reach the SCREI team: by e-mail and telephone or by face-to-face appointment for advice or information.
Please get in touch with your contact by email to make a face-to-face appointment and bring the email with you when you come to the University.

Your contacts

I am studying at UT1: which organization for courses and exams?

Lectures are mainly conducted remotely . For tutorials and continuous assessments, it depends on the Faculty/School.

Information will be updated as the situation evolves.

Social action & Medical-psychosocial emergencies

I am a student and I am going through difficulties because of the isolation caused by the health crisis. Who can I contact to help me re-mobilize and thus avoid dropping out?

To combat the gloom associated with distance learning, 60 "godparents" were recruited. These students have the mission to accompany you. They are there to boost your morale, answer your questions and help you succeed in your degree. They also facilitate your contact with your lecturers and tutorials.

If you are in L1, L2, L3 at the Faculty of Law, TSE, TSM, AES or M1 at TSM, don't hesitate to call upon this impulse of solidarity to break the isolation of your distance courses. To take advantage of this self-help device, you just have to fill out a survey, by "Mes cours en ligne" , to reserve a place in the proposed slots.
For more information, see the next page.

What are the solidarity measures set up by the government for students? Can I be entitled to them?

In order to support students impacted by the health crisis, Prime Minister Jean CASTEX announced :

  • an exceptional solidarity grant of 150 euros for scholarship students, which will be paid at the same time as the monthly grant payment in December.

  • the doubling of emergency financial aid, which will benefit an additional 45,000 young people (scholarship holders and non-scholarship holders) for housing and food.

  • the creation of 20,000 jobs for tutors, for a period of 4 months.
More information on the site www.etudiant.gouv.fr (in french)

I'm having trouble getting masks, can the university provide me with masks?

In order to help students who encounter difficulties in obtaining masks, the State provides free reusable category 1 masks for the general public.

Toulouse Capitole University will distribute them to students from 8 March next while stocks last.

Consult the distribution programme for the Toulouse campus on the student intranet (in French, restricted access).

My scholarship application has been validated late, to whom should I send it?

In order to allow for the payment of scholarships, your 2020/2021 Conditional Fellowship Notification should be sent to bourses@ut-capitole.fr

Is the payment of my scholarship assured?

The processing and payment of scholarships and grants continue to be ensured. The processing of the DSE (Dossier social étudiant) continues.

What are the food aid arrangements?

The CROUS, sets up "e-vouchers for basic necessities" in partnership with the Carrefour brand, for the purchase of foodstuffs and basic necessities:

UT1 offers food aid according to the usual modalities :
  • contact-simpps@univ-toulouse.fr

I am in financial difficulty or I need psychological care, who are my contacts?

The SIMPPS and the CROUS ensure permanence.

To accompany you in case of social difficulties, in coordination with the CROUS (at a distance, by appointment):

Listening, support, psychological care (at a distance, by appointment):

For foreign students, psychological consultations in English and Spanish are also possible (at a distance, by appointment).
The SIMPPS health relay students (ERS) in Toulouse are also available to inform, guide and direct students to the various services and associations they may need. To get in touch with them, visit their Facebook page.
More information on this page (restricted access).

How do I get a 4G key or a loan computer ?

Toulouse métropole has made 311 laptops and 4G keys available to the UT Capitole to allocate them to students in great difficulty.
Please contact vie.etudiante@ut-capitole.fr

What measures have been put in place against menstrual precariousness?

As of March 1st, the Corpo Arsenal's student association provides free biological and washable hygienic protections for students at the Toulouse Capitole University.

The distribution of hygienic protections takes place within the premises of the association, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays between 10 am and 5 pm, upon presentation of the student card.